It is a humbling task to be a part of the passage of all this history and knowledge to the next generation, to give or to take part in workshops, with adults or kids, bringing out the best in ourselves. Then to direct or teach while directing or teach directing, with workshops ranging from scenography from the directors point of view and ways to be better than a singing fish over live animation and word games to live-artistic crochet and embroidery…
As a teacher I am familiar with the making of a theatrical production, we analyse the text with the actors, I pass on to them the rules of theatre work space, correct their pronunciation, the use of their voice, teach them body awareness and contact different students every day to make sure they turn up at the right rehearsal.
I grade on voice, body and how they use it after taking my advice, their respect and attitude towards theatre work space, courage and humour (intelligence) and for being conscious, being 'there', improvisation, willingness to say yes to what their partner brings.
my workshops and teaching:
My name is Marijs. I use crochet cause it is a technique that allows recycling and colourful fiddling with fingers while chatting with friends and listening to music, as a form of ancient 3D printing.
We can make: little pussies, ovaries, vulvas, little cocks.
We can visualise our gender of preference, in its actual size and understand our body through copying it. And of course, our genitals are only the tip of the iceberg, of our complete nervous system, which is basically our organ to have fun and relax.
We work with cotton, ribbon, recycling fabrics, old cut up clothes, wool and other discarded rests of our life like dishwashing sponges, we each make a beautiful anatomically correct object to take home after the expo. You can come without anything, or bring the material you want to upcycle.
The Swelf is an ongoing cycle by Marijs Boulogne, in which she develops works in different media – installations, workshops, performances, lectures, etc., inviting people of different backgrounds to discover the complexity of their bodies and sexual organs and open up about issues of gender and sexuality in a playful way.
• When Something Really Happens
Feb. 20 to 24, 2017 – 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (Mon-Fri) - Studio 303, Montreal, Canada
Open to artists of all disiplines / Bilingual teacher
This workshop is for aspiring directors / live-performers / independent or half-funded or maybe too shy writers who want to direct other people. Marijs also wants to provide a place for questions and meeting others for anybody who is new to scenography or the professional theatre scene.This is not a ‘psychodrama class’ or ‘drama workshop’, or about work ethics, this is more about creation, practical collaboration with actors or co-creators. A practical confrontation with the space/objects/meanings around us to make something happen with what keeps you busy and the divine faith that everything you’ll need, is always there. This is a starting point to look for the moment when something really happens on stage or in public space. In the true sense of making something truly mémorable, uplifting, in the best sense of the expérience.
• Workplace of the Orgasm (Werkplaats van het orgasme) - public crochet workshop by Marijs Boulogne in collaboration with Wilfrieda Stroobants and Ester Joris - De Warande (ground floor) with the public showing of performance on 12 September - Le Village des Rêves Perdus (Theater Froefroe) - Opening of the theatre season of the Cultural Center De Warande (library), Turnhout, Belgium (6-12 September 2015)
• Atelier performance to the masterclass of Ceramics & Performance - National High School of Visual Arts La Cambre, Brussels, Belgium (11 May & 2 June, 2015)
• Teaching theatre to the first year directors - RITS School of Arts, Brussels, Belgium (24 February - 20 March 2015)
• Associate professor (docent) teaching theatre to 3rd atelier students of the first bachelor year, providing directing methods and tools for actors and performers for future theatre work at RITS School of Arts, Brussels, Belgium (January/February 2014)
• Teaching theatre at the American University of Kosovo (2013)
• Theatre/scenography workshop When Something Really Happens – Edgy Women Festival, Studio 303, Canada (2013)
• Teaching youth theatre - Villa Basta, Hasselt, Belgium (2011)
• Teaching theatre - first year students of directing RITS Brussels (2011)
• Teaching theatre - second year students of directing RITS Brussels (2011)
• Theatre/dance workshop If Fishes could Talk for dancers, actors and performers to developed dancing, theatrical, singing and per formative elements for performance Marzipan or Plexi, Emanat Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia (2009)
• Workshop on Language activism Word games - Verbindingen / Jonctions 9 Arts festival, Constant vzw, Brussels, Belgium (2005)
• Intern by Enrique Vargas Labyrinth production, Gent, Belgium, 2002
• Directors assistant to directors Sam Bogaerts (BE) and Boris Kelly (AUS) 1998, 1999
• Plank Breaking workshop by Catherine Lallonde, 2013
• Tiny Little Buttons workshop by Antonia Baehr and Keren Ida Nathan, 2011
• The 1000 Tiny Sexes workshop by Tea Hvala, Red Dawns Festival, 2007
• Contemporary dance workshop by David Hernandez in Stuk, Belgium, 1996